Evanston Mural Arts Program
Evanston Mural Arts Program (EMAP) is Art Encounter’s new public art initiative. Art Encounter has launched the program to help community groups, artists, residents, and business districts uplift their neighborhoods and strengthen their communities through mural art. EMAP works with the City of Evanston, local business districts, and area groups to provide curatorial leadership and project management support towards shared goals of community enrichment, civic engagement, and beautification.
EMAP is overseen by Dustin Harris and Art Encounter’s Education and Outreach Director Lea Pinsky. Harris and Pinsky, both muralists and public art project managers, have been inspiring public spaces through art since 2005. Through their creative work as Mix Masters Murals, they have directed and created numerous large-scale mural projects on public walls, in schools, community centers, and other spaces around Chicago and Evanston. Since 2009, they have served as lead Project Managers for the Mile of Murals, a Rogers Park public art initiative that annually creates new block-long murals for CTA transit walls and underpasses in 60626. Through the Evanston Mural Arts Program, they look forward to making Evanston a prominent and exciting cultural destination, in collaboration with partners across the city.
Projects for 2017 Include:
– Mural at Central St and Green Bay Rd, with the Evanston Art Center and Central St Business Association. Artist: Nick Goettling
– Mural at Dempster St. and Sherman Ave, with the Main Dempster Mile. Artist: Ruben Aguirre
– Mural at Elmwood and Davis St. with Centrum Evanston. Artist: Shawn Bullen
– Mural at Foster and Ashland St. with the Evanston Arts Council and 5th ward Alderman Robin Rue Simmons. Artist: Alfonso Piloto Nieves Ruiz
– Mural for Y.O.U. building in Evanston. Lead artist: Lea Pinsky with students from Old Orchard Jr. High School
If you wish to discuss about a mural project in your neighborhood, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE JOIN US THURSDAY OCTOBER 12 from 5:30- 7:30 pm at the Hyatt House in Evanston to celebrate our first year of murals!