Cuba November 5-11, 2016
“IN THE LIGHT OF CUBAN EYES”
November 5-11, 2016
with Art Encounter’s guest tour host
$4395 per person based on standard room double occupancy,
$400 single supplement
(Executive room up charge based upon availability)
Art Encounter invites you to explore Havana Cuba with our guest tour host, Madeleine Plonsker. A collector of artworks on paper for 50 years, Madeleine has focused on contemporary Cuban photography for the past 15 years. In 2015 Lake Forest College Press published her stunning book, ”The Light in Cuban Eyes,” which showcases the 50 most talented photographers working in Cuba today. After over 35 visits to the island she has made many important contacts within the arts community. Her knowledge of the island and its people will prove invaluable on this exclusive Art Encounter trip.
You will meet Cuba’s world famous artists and photographers whose cutting edge work has put Cuba on the international art map. Discover how their work speaks to life in Cuba from the painful “Special Period” when the Russians withdrew their financial support to the present challenges of a changing economy. In this insightful “People to People” tour with Madeleine, guest specialists and your local guide, you will delve into Cuban architecture, music, and dance as well as its history and economy.
ITINERARY (subject to change)
Friday evening, November 4: Miami
Stay overnight at a hotel of your choice in Miami. We recommend the Miami International Airport Hotel to make your travels easier for the next day’s early morning departure.
Saturday, November 5: Introduction to Havana (L, D)
- Charter flight to Cuba.
- Madeleine and your Cuban guide will greet you at the Jose Marti International Airport in Havana.
- We begin with an orientation tour on our private motor coach. History awaits you at our first stop, Revolutionary Square. Your guide will talk about the history of the Cuban Revolution as you discover massive faces of two heroes of the Cuban Revolution as well as the powerful monument to Jose Marti, the country’s national hero for Cuban independence.
- Enjoy a lovely welcome lunch and introduction to your leaders and fellow travelers.
- Check into the historic Nacional Hotel with a welcome cocktail and tour of the renowned building.
- Partake in a light supper before seeing a special dance performance.
Sunday, November 6: Art & Architecture in Havana Neighborhoods (B, L, D)
- Tour of Habana Vieja with Madeleine and an architectural historian.
- Enjoy a Cuban lunch at one “the old city’s” lively restaurants.
- Meet innovative artists and learn how they work together at a private all female art gallery located in the Vedado neighborhood. In this Art Deco building, see how spaces are being transformed to accommodate growing private enterprise.
- Continue on with Madeleine to visit several of the “Great Homes of Havana.”
- Group dinner at a paladar.
Monday, November 7: Creativity in the Outskirts of Havana (B, L)
- Visit to Finca Vigia, Hemingway’s home in the modest village of San Francisco.
- Envision The Old Man and the Sea as you enjoy lunch in Cojimar, the small fishing village that inspired Hemmingway’s famous book.
- Explore the art of renowned contemporary photographers in their Cojimar beach houses.
- Discover another aspect of Cuban history as you visit a Jewish cemetery located on a hillside outside of Havana.
- Dinner on your own at a paladar of your choice. We will provide a list of recommendations for both new and established “paladars”.
Tuesday, November 8: Ground Breaking Visions (B, L, D)
- Meet major Cuban photographers and find out about their unique ideas as well and technical processes.
- Lunch in Miramar by the sea, and tour this former exclusive neighborhood of Havana, which remains the home to many foreign embassies. i
- Visit the studios of artists working in different media.
- Dinner at a local paladar.
Wednesday, November 9: Magic of the Senses (B, L)
- Begin the day exploring dance and dance training.
- Visit a factory of famous Cuban cigars.
- Lunch at “Fusterland”. Discover “Fusterland”, the village transformed by the magical art of Jose Fuster.
- Explore Cuban history and culture in a visit to the Colon Cemetary.
- Dinner on your own at a recommended paladar.
Thursday, November 10: Cuban Art & History (B, D)
- Find out more about Cuba’s unique visual arts and how art expresses the Revolution in a tour of the exceptional Museo Bellas Artes.
- Delve into the fascinating history of the Revolution at the Revolutionary Museum.
- Lunch and afternoon on your own to finalize any art purchases, or to walk about or to sunbathe/swim.
- Share your experiences with your travel companions at our Farewell Dinner.
Friday, November 11: Departure for Miami (time to be announced) (B)
Inclusions: 6 nights at Hotel Nacional, Daily breakfast, 5 lunches, 4 dinners, Cuban Visa, People-to-People License to travel, Airport assistance in Miami, Round trip Miami/Havana flight, Health insurance while in Cuba, Private services of an English speaking guide and motor coach as per itinerary, Water on bus for daily tours – 2 bottles per person daily, All activities and exclusive events listed on itinerary
Exclusions: Optional activities, Items of a personal nature, alcohol, tipping, trip cancellation insurance, baggage cost in Miami, internet or phone costs, Havana airport departure tax of 25 CUC
To register, please mail a $500 (per person) non-refundable deposit to Art Encounter, 927 Noyes St. #104, Evanston, IL 60201
click on “Add to Cart” below to register with your credit card (3% fee has been added to deposit amount)
Contact Art Encounter at email@example.com or 847-328-9222 if you are interested in more information.