Cuba with Ruth Page Dance October 8-15, 2015
We are partnering with the Ruth Page School of Dance on this visit to Havana. This will be the first official exchange between two eminent cultural institutions, the Escuela Nacional de Ballet and The Ruth Page School of Dance, since the normalization of relations between Cuba and USA. Be part of an amazing artistic and historic adventure! Travel to this beautiful country and experience the Cuban passion for art and life.
Cost: $4400 (includes $600 donation to Ruth Page Foundation)
ITINERARY (subject to change)
Day 1 (Thurs.) 10/8- WELCOME TO HAVANA
- Miami/Havana morning flight
- Plaza de Revolution- ascend Museum platform for view and walk around Marti sculpture.
- Welcome lunch @ Café Oriente and introductions
- Walking tour of Old Havana: Plaza de Armas and Plaza de San Francisco and Plaza Vieja.
- Late afternoon hotel check-in and tour of historic Hotel Nacional or Melia Cohiba.
- 6 pm walking tour of Vedado neighborhood on the way to Welcome Dinner
Day 2 (Fri.) 10/9 – DANCE FOCUS – THE CREATIVE PROCESS
- 9:00 am – DanzAbierta open rehearsal and discussion of the creative process
- 11:00am -Introduction to renowned and emerging artists in private homes/studios
- 1:00: Lunch break
- 3:00-5 pm: Interactive discussion at the National School of Ballet led by former Minister of Culture Ismael Albelo and Ruth Page School Director Victor Alexander
- 8:00 pm – Cuban Arts Project: Video and discussion with President of Copperbridge Foundation Founder Geo Darder and art curator Juan Delgado at his home and private art collection followed by a typically Cuban dinner.
Day 3 (Sat.) 10/10 – ART & ARCHITECTURE IN OLD HAVANA
- 9:00 am: departure for orientation coach tour of historic sites. (Jose Marti sculpture and Imperialist Plaza facing the Malecon).
- 10:00 am: Guided tour of contemporary Cuban art at the Bellas Artes Museo
- 12:30 -2:30pm: Lunch on the rooftop of the Parque Central Hotel
- 2:30 pm: Meet historian of city Miguel Coyula. Learn about Old Havana and current restoration projects. Discover latest burgeoning developments and new art spaces.
- 4:00 pm: Retazos Dance Company in Old Havana or Colmenita Children’s Theater in Old Havana
- Evening at leisure to experience a preferred paladar
(Attend a performance of the National Ballet if scheduled)
Day 4 (Sun.) 10/11- CREATING COMMUNITY THROUGH MUSIC & MURALS
- 9:00 am. Back street photography walking tour to experience local markets and gardens
- 10: 00 am: Visit Callejon Hamel to meet Elias Aseff Alfonso for a discussion of the Roots of Afro Cuban art and Santeria religious practice. Learn about the community mural project by Salvatore Gonzalez
- Meet Esterio Segura at his fascinating art complex and learn about his impact on the local community. Time permitting, visit art collectives in Miramar to see how artists market their work.
- 1:30-3:30 pm: Private lunch amid Jose Fuster’s fanciful art enclave in Jaminitas. Stroll through the neighborhood to see how this visionary artist has transformed his community and earned the title of “Cuba’s Gaudi”.
- 3:45-5:30 pm: Private rooftop concert at home of amazing musician Pablo Menendez – who reveals the roots of Afro Cuban music as he entertains. Discover why he came to Cuba as a teenager and never left. Dance and clap your hands to the beat of his stellar group known as Mezcla.
- Evening on your own at a recommended paladar on your own
Day 5 ( Mon.) 10/12 DANCE COMPANY REHEARSALS
- 9:00-11:00 am: Danza Contemporanea de Cuba – classes/performance
- 11:30 -12:30 pm: Taller Experimental de Graphica in the Plaza de la Catedral
- 12:30 -2:00 pm: Lunch at Donna Eutemia
- 2:30 – 4:00 pm: Performance/rehearsal of Mal Paso Dance or Lizt Alfonso
Dance Company or Conjuncto Ballet Folklorico de Cuba. TBD
- 8:00 pm: “Art Buffet” at the home of private art dealer Milagros Borges.
Day 6 (Tues.) 10/13 –EDUCATION & COLLABORATIONS
- 9:30 am: Classes at the Escuela National de la Danza (ENA)
- 12:30 pm: lunch break at Aljibe restaurant
- 2:30-3:30 pm: Studio visits TBD
- 4- 5:30 pm: Students from the Ruth page School of Dance and theNational School of Ballet of Cuba perform the collaborative work.
- Evening on your own at a recommended paladar (La Casa).
Day 7 ( Wed.) 10/14 – EXCURSION TO MANTANZAS or PINAR DEL RIO
Mantanzas: This vibrant city is known as one of Cuba’s important cultural capitals. Our Mantanzas tour includes: dance studios; a famous bookmaking/ printmaking collective; the School of Visual Arts; interactive discussions with artists at a trendy art gallery collective; late afternoon lunch at the Dupont Estate. Tonight we gather for farewell toasts at a gala Dinner Party with dancers & artists
Pinar del Rio: Journey to the lush countryside to visit Las sTerazas, “Cuba’s first eco-village, a thriving community of 1200 inhabitants whose self-supporting sustainable settlement includes a hotel, myriad artisan shops, a vegetarian restaurant and small-scale farming techniques. Enjoy lunch on a coffee plantation and time to relax or walk local trails before returning to Havana. Tonight we gather for farewell toasts a gala Dinner Party.
Day 8 ( Thurs.) 3/15 :Havana/Miami Departures
Airport assistance in Miami
Round trip Miami/Havana flight
Health insurance while in Cuba
7 nights @ Hotel Nacional or the Melia Cohiba Hotel
Private escort services of an English speaking guide and motor coach as per itinerary
Daily program as per the itinerary
Water on bus for daily tours – 3 bottles per person daily
- Daily breakfast at the Hotel Nacional
- Welcome lunch- Café Orienete
- Welcome cocktail reception
- Welcome Dinner
- Lunch at Donna Eutemia in the Plaza de la Catedral or rooftop of the Parque Central
- Lunch at Jose Fuster’s art enclave in Jimanitas
- Lunch @ Aljibe
- Lunch @ the Dupont Estate in Varadero ( Mantanzas) or Cafetal Buena Vista (if Pinar)
- Art Buffet at Milagros Borges
- Cuban Art Project dinner at Juanito Delgado’s
- Farewell Dinner Party
Services and commentary of dance specialist Ismael Abelo and Victor Alexander
- DanzAbierta -private rehearsal and reception
- Discussion of exchange program with the Ruth Page Dance School students and the students from the Cuban National School of Ballet.
- Attend a performance of the Cuba National Ballet if scheduled.
- Escuela Nacional de la Danza – dance rehearsal
- Danza Contemporanea de Cuba – class and/or performance
- Retazos Dance Company in Old Havana or Colmenita Children’s Theater
- Conjuncto Ballet Folklorico de Cuba- performance and rumba class or Lizt Alfonso troupe or Mal Paso.
- Performance by Ruth Page students and National Ballet students
- Entrance fee and private guided tour at Bellas Artes Museum
- Reception and discussion with art collector/curator Juan Delgado
- Full day trip to Mantanzas or Pinar del Rio
- Calle Hamel with Elias Acosta and discussion of murals created by Salvatore Gonzalez
- Private visits to top artists’ homes and studios as per itinerary
- Private concert performed by Mezcla and discussion with musician Pablo Menendez
- Private tours of art spaces and historic sites in Old Havana with city historian
Back street photography walking tour
- Private visit to the home and art enclave of Jose Fuster withlunch and dance session on patio
Questions? Contact Travel Director Ellen Kamerling at firstname.lastname@example.org