Philadelphia May 18-21, 2017
See Philadelphia art like you’ve never seen it before.
Join Marsha Goldstein, past president and member of Art Encounter’s Board of Directors and former Chair of the Union League Club of Chicago’s Art Committee, for an exciting art adventure in Philadelphia! Receive a private tour of the Barnes Foundation on the Parkway, housing one of the world’s leading collections of Impressionist, Post-Impressionist and early Modern paintings. Hailed as a “gallery within a garden and a garden within a gallery”, this new, breathtaking site allows this important work to be viewed as intended. Other art destinations that we will explore include the Brandywine River Museum, the Rodin Museum, the Murals of Philadelphia, a public arts project, along with visits to some of Philadelphia’s finest private art collections such as the West Collection.
Travelers will stay on the Club Level of the historic Warwick Hotel, a local landmark and European-style luxury hotel located by the world-renowned Rittenhouse Square, the city’s most prestigious residential, commercial and business district.
ITINERARY (subject to change)
Thursday, May 18
- Lunch at the Barnes Foundation followed by a private tour of the Barnes Collection (see above). This collection includes 181 Renoirs, 69 Cezannes, 46 Picassos and 59 Matisses, in addition to African, American and decorative arts.
- Enjoy stunning city and river views at our welcome reception which takes place in the 45th floor penthouse Washington Square apartment to see one of Philadelphia’s most exciting and exclusive private contemporary art collections.
- Dinner at the Union League Club of Philadelphia, one of the city’s most important cultural landmarks. Founded in 1862 during the American Civil War, it is an incredible piece of American history.
Friday, May 19
- Visit to the West Collection, one of largest private art collections in the United States. A private guide will lead us through this impressive collection of modern and contemporary art located in the corporate offices of SEI Investments. The collection was begun by SEI’s founder, Al West.
- Tour the Murals of Philadelphia, a public arts project, the world’s largest outdoor art gallery with a professionally-trained guide, who will take guests through Center City neighborhoods to see up close and personal the stunning murals that represent a variety of themes, artistic processes and public art at its finest. Be inspired by this incredible public art that makes Philadelphia the mural capital of the world and experience firsthand how art ignites change.
Saturday, May 20
- Private tour and lunch at the Brandywine River Museum, renowned for Wyeth & American Art in a spectacular setting located in beautiful Chadds Ford, PA.
- Private tour of the Delaware Art Museum, which features American Art of the 19th through the 21st centuries and English Pre-Raphaelite art of the mid-19th century.
- Tour and reception at one of Philadelphia’s finest private art collections.
- Farewell dinner
Sunday, May 21
- Private tour of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, unique in its integrated presentation of both the fine and decorative arts from Asia, Europe and the US. The museum is world-famous for its major holdings of Western and Asian art dating from the Middle Ages.
- Private tour of the Rodin Museum, the largest collection of sculptor Auguste Rodin’s works outside Paris. The museum features 124 sculptures, including important bronze casts of Rodin’s greatest works.
$2,200 per person (double occupancy) **
Single supplement: $375
**$125 surcharge if enrollment is under 20
Includes: Accommodations for 3 nights in exclusive Rittenhouse Square, daily breakfast and lunches with access to evening 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. happy hour with full bar and snack food, welcome reception and dinner, reception at private art collection, farewell dinner, entry to all artists’ studios, galleries, museums and private collections per itinerary, guided tours, hotel baggage handling, tips for driver, private coach transportation per itinerary.
Does not include: Airfare, food/beverages other than those listed as included, gratuities other than listed above, porterage, items of a personal nature, trip cancellation/interruption insurance.
Flights are to be arranged by each traveler. DO NOT BOOK until notified that the trip is “a go”.
Please book your flight so that you arrive in Philadelphia by 11:00am on Thursday, May 18th, and depart Philadelphia on Sunday, May 21st after 5:15pm.
SPACE IS LIMITED! RESERVE A PLACE BY MARCH 31st!
Please mail your non-refundable deposit of $500 to:
927 Noyes St. #104
Evanston, IL 60201
OR pay with your credit card by clicking below (3% service fee will be added):
Please include your contact information, single or double room request.
Purchase of trip travel insurance is recommended since Art Encounter will not be able to issue refunds in the event of trip cancellation or interruption.
Email email@example.com or call 847.328.9222 with questions.